Homemade mincemeat • Recipe and Method
I know that it is still only October BUT this takes a while to rest and you can't be too prepared for Christmas.
This is a simple mincemeat recipe that has been passed down to me and I wanted to share it to you all. The recipe should make about 5-6kg's of mincemeat which can last a few years in jars, it only gets better with age.
2kgs of Apples
1kg of Currents
750g of Sultanas
750g of Suet
750g of Caster Sugar
Rind and Juice of a Lemon
2 tsps of Mixed Spice
2 tsps of Nutmeg
Approx 150ml of either Rum, Sherry or Brandy
1. Peel, core and slice all the apples.
2. Mince the apples with the sultanas (meat mincers work fine).
3. Add all the other ingredients and mix together well.
4. Separate into jars and lid them (sticker year onto them)
5. Leave at least 3 weeks to stand before using.
It is that simple. Please let me know if you use this recipe, I would love to know.